Sunday, March 31, 2013

Stories from the Bible, 1968

(Continued from 1967)

The latest retellings of these stories, begun in June 1966, continue with new 3 more installments of "Joseph", followed by 8 new installments retelling the story of "Moses".  Oddly enough, "Sodom And Gomorrah", skipped earlier, turns up in between therse two.  I wonder if anyone reading these for the first time thought that story took place in between the other two stories?

I've reached the point here where I came in.  My subscription ran from May 1968 to November 1969.  I don't know why it was more than 12 months, but those were the issues we got, based on the episodes of SPACE CONQUERORS!
I read way back when (and collected into a scrapbook).

Meanwhile, I have no way to be sure, but beginning with the May 1968 episode, the art appears to me to be by Curt Swan, who is most known as "the" SUPERMAN artist from the 60's to the 80's.  There was a suspicion that Al Williamson might have supplied the inks.  He did work ranging from EC science-fiction comics in the 50's to King's FLASH GORDON comic-books in the 60's to the STAR WARS newspaper strip in the 80's.  Swan went on record saying Williamson was his favorite inker of his pencils, and 2 other fans beside myself have said these episodes look like they could be their work. 

However, sometime after I set this page up, another fan pointed out that when Swan inked his own pencils, it looked VERY much like when Williamson inked.
I haven't found any instances where art in BOYS' LIFE was done by a team, so it seems most likely that this was SOLO Swan work. 

If anyone out there could identify the artists who did this series before and after Swan, I'd appreciate it!  (Text updated 2-20-2021.)

Story by Al Stenzel  /  Art by (??)
BOYS' LIFE  /  January 1968
BOYS' LIFE  /  February 1968
BOYS' LIFE  /  March 1968
BOYS' LIFE  /  April 1968
Story by Al Stenzel  /  art by Curt Swan
BOYS' LIFE  /  May 1968
BOYS' LIFE  /  June 1968
BOYS' LIFE  /  July 1968
BOYS' LIFE  /  August 1968
BOYS' LIFE  /  September 1968
BOYS' LIFE  /  October 1968
BOYS' LIFE  /  November 1968
BOYS' LIFE  /  December 1968

(Continued in 1969)

Copyright (C) BOY'S LIFE Magazine
Restorations by Henry Kujawa

Read the Bob LeRose page at Wikipedia 
Read about the history of Johnstone & Cushing at the Hogan's Alley site

No comments:

Post a Comment