Thursday, November 10, 2011

Star-Studded Comics

About 5 years back, I went thru a phase where I really got into "fanzines", specifically the "strip-zines" which features original comics characters. I have virtually none of these in my collection, but thanks to a combination of Gary Carlson's BIG BANG COMICS and Bill Schelly's HAMSTER PRESS reprints, I became rather familiar with some of them.  What I found was a freshness, an excitement, and a genuine sense of FUN that has been missing from most comics put out by "the big two" for too many years.  In a better world, many of these creators and their creations would have had much wider success.

I'm gonna kick off a study of these with this page, devoted to one of the best-known and longest-running strip-zines, STAR-STUDDED COMICS.   Considering I don't have a single one of these in my collection, I had to rely on scans found online and, in some cases, those supplied me by OTHER fans who DO have the actual zines!  As usual, these painstaking "restorations" were a labor of love.  ENJOY!

STAR-STUDDED COMICS 1  /  art by HOWARD KELTNER   (September 1963)

STAR-STUDDED COMICS 2  /
art & scan by BUDDY SAUNDERS   (December 1963)

STAR-STUDDED COMICS 3  /  art by HOWARD KELTNER   (March 1964)

STAR-STUDDED COMICS 4  /
art by BUDDY SAUNDERS (as "Don Fowler")   (June 1964)

STAR-STUDDED COMICS 5  /
art by RICHARD "Grass" GREEN   (September 1964)


STAR-STUDDED COMICS 6  /  art by D. BRUCE BERRY   (February 1965)

STAR-STUDDED COMICS 7  /  art by HOWARD KELTNER   (July 1965)
STAR-STUDDED COMICS 8  /
art by RICHARD "Grass" GREEN   (March 1966)
STAR-STUDDED COMICS 9  /  art by ALAN WEISS   (July 1966)
STAR-STUDDED COMICS 10  /  art by BUDDY SAUNDERS   (February 1967)
(Contnued in Part 2)

Art (C) the various artists

Raw scans of #1, 4, 7 & 8 supplied by Scott Stewart
Raw scan of #2 by Buddy Saunders /  supplied by Dennis Ray
Raw scan of #3 from Bill Schelly's site
Raw scan of #5 from the MyComics Shop site / supplied by Dennis Ray
Raw scan of #6 supplied by Lance Boucher
Raw scan of #9 supplied by Dennis Ray
Raw scan of #10 from the eBay.Canada site

Restorations by Henry Kujawa

No comments:

Post a Comment