Saturday, July 4, 2020

Poe 1948, Pt. 2

(Continued from Poe 1948, Pt. 1)

LES AVENTURES DE GORDON PYM
     (IN COLOR  w/ English Translation)

Collection LeRuban Rouge is an imprint of Librairie Arthème Fayard in France.

In 1948, apparently, they published the very first heavily-illustrated story book version of Edgar Allan Poe's only novel...

     "THE NARRATIVE OF ARTHUR GORDON PYM OF NANTUCKET"

I ran across this book on 11-6-2019 while browsing the entire online catalog of the La Bergerie bookstore in Switzerland.

Now I have to admit, I wasn't crazy about the art style in this book.  But there is a LOT of it.  Which made it, in my eyes, essential.

The problem, as of 3-7-2020, was that this would have been the single most expensive book I would ever have bought... and I'm kinda strapped for cash.

But then... incredibly... just 3 days later (3-10-2020), Canadian fan Richard Gagnon pointed me at a seller on Amazon France, who had the book for HALF what the store in Switzerland was selling it for (that includes the shipping).  HALF!!!  So suddenly, I didn't have to wait to buy it.  I did wind up having to call my bank, as, for the 3rd time in 2 years, a transaction with France somehow set off their security alert, but next thing, I received word the book had shipped... and I got my hands on it on 3-27-2020.  Just 3 days later, I started processing it.  WOW!!!

The artist is "Lamotte".  I knew nothing about him.  But, a quick online search found an artist named Bernard Lamotte, who lived in France from 1903-1983, and was a painter and an illustrator.  I have not confirmed it's the same person, but, I have to wonder, what are the odds on there being 2 artists in the same country with the same last name and general time period?  Bernard did wonderfully beautiful color paintings, and while it's difficult to be sure, the figures in the paintings could be the work of the same person.

Incidentally, the moment I laid eyes on page 10 (the 2nd story page), I instantly fell in love with the delightfully "cartoony" drawing style, and suddenly, couldn't wait to clean up the pages and add COLOR!

LES AVENTURES DE GORDON PYM
cover by BERNARD LAMOTTE
     (Collection LeRuban Rouge  /  Librairie Arthème Fayard  /
          France  /  1948)
Page 5
Page 7
Page 8
"LES AVENTURES DE GORDON PYM"
     ("THE NARRATIVE OF ARTHUR GORDON PYM OF NANTUCKET")  /
          Version 1
Adaptation by Jean Wall  /  Art by BERNARD LAMOTTE
Page 9
Page 10
Page 11
Page 12
Page 13
Page 14
Page 15
Page 16
Page 17
Page 18
Page 19
Page 20
Page 21
Page 22
Page 23
Page 24
Page 25
Page 26
Don't go away!  Our story will continue...

Copyrig
ht (C) Bernard Lamotte.
English translation & new color Copyright (C) 2020 Henry R. Kujawa.

Scans of LES AVENTURES DE GORDON PYM
     from MY collection!
          with special thanks to La Bergerie store in Switzerland,
          to Richard Gagnon for pointing me at a MUCH-cheaper copy,
          and to "Yves 66" on Amazon France
          without whom I might never have acquired this book!

Restorations by Henry R. Kujawa

For more:
Read about Edgar Allan Poe at The Poe Museum site.
Read about Edgar Allan Poe at the Biography site.


Read about THE NARRATIVE OF ARTHUR GORDON PYM OF NANTUCKET
     at the Grade Saver site.
Read the complete novel at the at the Lit 2 Go site.
See the ARTHUR GORDON PYM Gallery of Illustrations

     Audio:
Hear the LIT 2 GO audio book!
Hear THE WEIRD CIRCLE episode!

     Comics:
Read the Bernard Lamotte ARTHUR GORDON PYM adaptation!
Read the Yves & Willy Groux ARTHUR GORDON PYM adaptation!
Read the Franc Fuentes Man ARTHUR GORDON PYM adaptation!  
     (coming soon)
Read the Editorial Sea / Navaro ARTHUR GORDON PYM adaptation!
     (Coming soon:)
Read the Cesar Lopez Vera ARTHUR GORDON PYM adaptation!
Read the Jorge Bernuy S. ARTHUR GORDON PYM adaptation!
Read the Enrique Alcatena ARTHUR GORDON PYM adaptation!

See the CHRONOLOGICAL list of Edgar Allan Poe stories!
See the ALPHABETICAL list of Edgar Allan Poe stories!

Don't miss the 2nd PART of this... coming up next!!!

(Continued in Poe 1948, Pt. 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment