Friday, April 3, 2015

Poe 1943, Pt. 2

(Continued from Poe 1943)

CLASSIC COMICS  18
"THE BELLS"
     (w/ Gallery of Illustrations)

There have always been, for me, 4 "classic" writers of the 19th Century whose work I've admired, mostly in film adaptations, but also in the original texts, and sometimes, in comic-books.  They are Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Edgar Allan Poe.
 

Gilberton's CLASSIC COMICS contains the earliest Poe comics adaptation I've been able to find. When I started this project, I believed his work first appeared in their 21st issue-- 7 issue before Jules Verne!  Turns out, I was wrong.  That'll learn me to do a complete index of the series before-hand!

I really love the internet, and this project has given me more reason to.  In the last couple months, on several occasions, some people I've gotten to know online have pointed me at some stories I was unaware of, despite several different searches to update my index.

Well-- it happened AGAIN!  Fellow fan Don Bearden, who supplied me scans of "Annabel Lee", some time later, completely out of the blue, e-mailed me with info and scans of "THE BELLS".  This was another poem by POE, and like "Annabel Lee", appeared as a back-up feature, which was cut when Gilberton did later reprints.  What a joy to be able to present this here, along with SO MANY other POE comics!  Until Don got in touch, I mostly knew "THE BELLS" by Basil Rathbone's dramatic reading of it.

Once again, to try and keep things at least a little "organized", I'm naming the blog page "Poe 1943, Pt. 2", just so there's no question it comes before "Poe 1944, Pt. 1" (which has CLASSIC COMICS #21).

ENJOY!

CLASSIC COMICS 18
cover by ALLEN SIMON  ("The Hunchback Of Notre Dame")
(Gilberton  /  [March] 1944)
"THE BELLS"  /  Version 1
Art by LOUIS ZANSKY  /  Page 56
Page 57
Page 58
I'm including a bonus gallery of illustrations by various artists over the decades.

"THE BELLS" by R. Riordan   (1881)
"THE BELLS" by W. Heath Robinson   (1900)
"THE BELLS" by Edmund Dulac   (1912)
Copyright (C) The Gilberton Company, Inc.  &  the various artists.

Scans of CLASSIC COMICS #18 supplied by Don Bearden
     with Special thanks! 

Scans of "The Bells" by
     R. Riordan from the Dragon Books site,
     W. Heath Robinson from the EBooks@Adelaide site, and 
     Edmund Dulac from Poul Webb / Art & Artists blog.

Restorations by Henry R. Kujawa

For more:
Read about Edgar Allen Poe at Wikipedia.

Read about Gilberton at Wikipedia.
Read about Louis Zansky at the Lambiek Comiclopedia site. 

Read about THE BELLS at Wikipedia.
Read the poem at the Poe Stories.com site.

Read about Basil Rathbone at Wikipedia.
Hear the Basil Rathbone recording!

Read the Louis Zansky THE BELLS adaptation!
Read the Juan Gomez THE BELLS adaptation!   (coming soon!)
Read the Bill D. Fountain THE BELLS adaptation!   (coming soon!)
Read the Maxon Poe THE BELLS adaptation!   (coming soon!)

Gilberton's CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED are currently being reprinted--
     go to the CLASSIC COMICS STORE to BUY your own copies!!!  

      Misc.:
Read The Complete Poems Of Edgar Allan Poe
     illustrated by W. Heath Robinson at the EBooks@Adelaide site.
See more Edmund Dulac art at the Art & Artists blog.


See my Edgar Allan Poe overview at this very blog!

(Continued in Poe 1944, Pt. 1) 

No comments:

Post a Comment